- ¼ c butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 c chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (14 oz) cans pumpkin purée
- 1 ½ c heavy cream
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp orange Juice, freshly squeezed
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ lb Gruyère cheese
- Kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped, for serving
- Toasted pumpkin seeds, for serving
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add chicken broth, bay leaf and pumpkin purée and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes.
Remove from heat and using a food processor or hand blender, purée until smooth. Return mixture to pan; add cream, orange zest, orange juice, nutmeg and ginger and cook over low heat. Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly until cheese has fully melted.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with additional cheese, chives and toasted pumpkin seeds.
Shop Recipe Ingredients
Tell Us What You Think
Rate this recipe to get started.